I'm Leaving on a Jet Plane


(Holland, Michigan)

I applied for my passport last summer. I mailed off my visa application a couple weeks ago. I have booked my flight. The luggage has been purchased and the packing list is being compiled.
The to-do list is long and as January approaches I realize there is more to put in order outside of the government documents and class schedules. I need to prepare myself for leaving my good friends and family behind. I have moved to new places before. I moved down to Kentucky by myself last summer. Yet, leaving behind my cell phone when my good friends are usually just a simple "I need to talk" text message away, is scary. Who will I talk to when I am nervous for my internship interview? When I get lost, who will I call for directions? The answer is easy: People. I will not be alone, I just run the risk of being lonely.
So, I will bid farewell to my cross country team, the Dewitt theatre, the lake effect snow, the small midwest town and people who will always return my calls as I bravely jump that trans-Atlantic flight, hoping I meet new nice people in early in January.
And if I am lucky, perhaps I will make a few new good friends.



A Bike Ride to the Farmer's Market
(Holland, Michigan)


Roses and Manchester Cross Country Invitational T-shirt
(Holland, Michigan)


Disney World
(Orlando, Florida)


My residence on Hope College's campus
for the past 3 semesters: Timmer Cottage
(Holland, Michigan)