Ready, Freddy... What?

(Chicago, Illinois)

Hope College gives everyone who studies abroad a large packet of information. This packet contains an orientation handbook filled with advice for students going abroad. Included are the TEN COMMANDMENTS FOR PARTICIPATING IN STUDY ABROAD PROGRAMS.
The first thing listed is:

"1. You shall not expect to find things as you have them at home... for you have left your home to find new things"
-Hope College Study Abroad Orientation Handbook

Perhaps these seems obvious to you. However, I must continuously remind myself of this. As a person who finds comfort in the familiar, I will have to find new ways to be comfortable and consistently remind myself what my study abroad goals are. I am leaving this peaceful Midwestern town to experience something greater: to meet new people, to explore different theatres, to learn people's stories, to travel, and to experience new things.

Let the adventure begin!

(Elyria, Ohio)